Monday 1 November 2010

What's My Age Again..?

Two for one deal today, although this is blatantly an avoidance blog - I'm too hungover to devote the necessary concentration it takes to write essays or prep for Thursday's classes but if I don't do something else with my hands I'm going to smoke myself to death.

When I eventually stopped dancing in next to nothing, which really lost it's charm after the commuter traffic dwindled away, I've spent the best part of my day doing chores and watching the rain from my window.

It was disappointing to find we're now into the season of early sunsets without the autumnal purple tint that makes them bearable up until the end of October - the transition out of my favourite time of year had been made which reinforces my plans of hibernation until February and my 21st birthday.

I seem to be obsessing over ages at the moment, both the fact mine is slowly raising and also the (entirely new to me) unwritten etiquette of who's 'too old' or 'too young' to associate with.

I was always under the impression that, much akin to sexuality where you just like 'people' indeterminate of gender, you we're able to speak to or be intimate with anybody (within the legal boundaries).

Yet at every turn I find people two years younger giggling behind Bacardi Breezers because they're drinking with a girl "Who's like totally twice [their] age" and men of 'X' amount of years older attempting to intellectually or developmentally pull rank purely based on their parents fucking before mine did.

There's a fundamental level of misguided humour in the former yet something altogether more sinister and smelling vaguely of hypocrisy and fascism within the latter.

For a start, to disbelieve the fact you can be both old and highly unwise is fairly obviously flawed; to base all your interpersonal relations on it is just fucking retarded.

Equally so, to equate being young with an inability to entirely out perform (intellectually) people any number of years older is to deny the existence of scientific fact...I'm talking creepily clued in teenagers and childhood genius here. Unfortunately this is a belief held by said young folks and put in place by the older.

Worse is when the 'higher age = superior level of intelligence' rule is applied to ability to subjectively feel emotion or in an external sense empathise with others.

I can vouch, I have met some severely under-developed men who were desperately holding on to the idea that a) I'm young, by proxy negative emotion will go over my head so they can treat me like shit and I'll keep on smiling or b) I'm young, by proxy I will be incapable of emotionally sustaining the needs of the average twenty-something male (with screamingly obvious Mummy issues) so it's A-OK to cheat on me/disregard me entirely.

I marvel, with all these assumptions and loopholes in place, at how anybody manages to have a functional relationship which gets past the question 'So whens your birthday again?'

Never one to conform, I refuse to take a difference in birth years as grounds to deny people a chance at a meaningful connection with another human being - in a world where forced isolation is becoming increasingly common I propose a social call to arms.

Judge people for their content not their expiry date.

Annie.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment